Monday, October 23, 2006

1 Thessalonians 5

12 Now we ask you, brothers, to respect those who work hard among you, who are over you in the Lord and who admonish you. 13 Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work. Live in peace with each other. 14 And we urge you, brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone. 15 Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else.

These are final instructions to the church at Thessalonica. A theme that plays out in many of Paul's letters is being kind to everyone and doing what is right in all circumstances.

16 Be joyful always; 17 pray continually; 18 give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

Soon Thanksgiving will be upon us. That is a popular time for this verse to pop up in sermons and Bible studies. However, it really sums up what daily life as a Christian should be. One should strive for God's will every day and Paul is clear that these three simple statments address what God's will is. Every day our joy, prayerfulness, and thankfulness is tested. How often do you fail to maintain these in your life. I know I fail every day. However, as I have grown in my faith, I have found that the more that I consciously remind myself of this verse, the easier it is to be joyful, prayerful, and thankful. I believe that this is because I am living more within God's will, therefore, life is better, and this makes being joyful, prayerful, and thankful easier.

19 Do not put out the Spirit's fire; 20 do not treat prophecies with contempt. 21 Test everything. Hold on to the good. 22 Avoid every kind of evil.
23 May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it.

God does not command these things to make life boring. He commands these things because he knows what makes a good, happy, and successful life. Anytime I have ever felt down about my circumstances it is because I have been out of compliance with God's will for my life. I have NEVER felt that my life was going poorly when I have truly sought the will of God in my HEART.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home